Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fruitcake?

Do you like Fruitcake?  I honestly have never had one.  They have such a bad reputation.  But I know that I like Irish Soda Bread, and that has fruit in it, and I do like to bake....could I find and bake a fruitcake recipe that was good?  I had it in my mind that I would indeed make a fruitcake this year.  But no candied citron peel and strange green cherries.  I wanted real fruit.  I searched high and low, scouring my cookbooks collection, pouring over Internet recipes that promised to be "the best".  I hadn't found the recipe yet, but finally found it on Wednesday night. (while watching a fabulous show....) That was it, I was making a fruitcake. 

(The Beekman 1802 Generous Fruitcake)

Plan ahead, because you need to first find and purchase all this great fruit, and then soak it overnight in Rum.  Then the next day you will make the cake and bake it.  Also, the baking time is a bit long, but it's totally worth it.  Again, plan ahead.   I held up our Saturday-Is-Homemade-Pizza night with an occupied oven, but Captain was okay with that (he's okay with most everything I do, I'm a lucky girl).

It came out so very good.  Delicious.  I ate it warm from the oven, and then toasted the next morning.  Yummy plump and moist fruit fill this bread (or cake) and the nuts add a nice toasty crunch.  You must try this fruitcake. 

Here is the recipe, courtesy of my new favorite show, The Fabulous Beekman Boys on Planet Green. http://beekman1802.com/


(Should I name drop...??....I don't know....okay, I will.  I went to school with Josh, costar of the show!  He and I were in Concert Choir together and all the Christmas Plays and Spring Musicals.  He is a super great guy and just as funny in person as on the show.  I have great memories of him from back in the day).

And here is the recipe typed out on my blog for you to easily reference:

* I didn't have/use all the dried fruits that they did.  I used currants, golden raisins, dark raisins, craisins, canned pineapple ~ not candied, All which equalled the 4 1/2 cups of dried fruits.  I made 3 loaves with this recipe.

Beekman 1802 Generous Fruit Cake

1 ¼ cups chopped dried Calimyrna figs (about 6 oz)

4 ½ cups chopped dried fruits, best quality, organic / local wherever possible. Here’s what we like:

½ cup dates
1 cup candied pineapple
1 cup dried apricots
½ cup dried cherries
½ cup dark raisins
1 cup golden raisins
½ cup light rum
1 ½ cups unsalted butter, room temperature (3 sticks)
1 ½ cups white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
8 large eggs
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups pecans, toasted

Instructions

The day before

Chop the dried fruits in good-sized pieces.

Combine dried figs, mixed fruits, golden raisins, and rum in large bowl.

Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight, stirring occasionally.

Make the cake

Preheat oven to 325°F.

Butter baking pans or forms.

Beat 1 1/2 cups butter, sugar and brown sugar in large bowl until light.

Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then vanilla, baking soda and salt.

Stir in flour in 4 additions.

Stir in pecans, dried fruit mixture and any soaking liquid from bowl.

Bake the cake

Divide batter among prepared pans. Place pans on baking sheet and place on center rack of oven.

Bake until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes.

Finishing

Cool cakes completely in pans on racks.

Wrap in plastic or aluminum foil.

Let stand at least 1 day and up to 3 days at room temperature.

Wrap in cheesecloth, and if you wish, baste with liqueur of your choice.

Storage & Serving

Store several weeks at room temperature or months in a refrigerator

Serve at room temperature

If the cake becomes dry, use a pastry brush to brush the outside of the cake with brandy

THIS JUST IN!!! 

I left a comment on the Beekman 1802 recipe that I had made the fruitcake and posted it here on my blog (I didn't leave a link because I didn't want to seem "spammy")  And Dr. Brent (the other 1/2 of the Fabulous Beekman Boys) left this message!

Author:
Dr. Brent



Comment:
Thanks for making us a part of your holidays, Shannon

No comments: