Thursday, February 9, 2012

Soap Curing...

When someone asks me to create a special fragrance soap I generally tell them that I will put it on the list of soaps to be made but that they also have to wait 4-6 weeks for the soap to cure, or "to be ready".  Often, I watch their faces to see how this registers with them. Do they know what I mean?  Most often, I just explain it to them rather than assume that they know. 

This is what I say:  Curing is the process of the soap drying out.  The water is evaporating and this helps it become a hard, long lasting bar of soap.  These harder bars of soap last longer, lather up better and overall is better soap.   Cured soap is harder, milder and more finished 

Below is a photo of a variety of my soaps curing on trays on one of my curing racks.


I have to plan ahead for the Holidays or seasonal soaps.  So that I have plenty of Apple Cider soap for September, I start making it at the end of July!   To ensure that the Christmas in Maine soap is ready for the beginning of November, I need to start making it around the middle of September.   Planning is a big part of my business, and I need to stay organized and watch that calender to plan plan plan ahead!

Hope that this informs you a little more about the soap making process.

2 comments:

The Soap Sister said...

Probably the part of this business that is THE hardest for me! I'm already working on Mothers Day stuff -seems crazy, but it will be here before we know it! ~Becky

Casco Bay Soap Co. said...

thanks Becky! Even the best laid plans, change! I try but sometimes get tripped up.
Good luck to you. :)
Shannon