Monday, April 26, 2010

Hello Summer Market!



(Early Saturday Morning, before the customers arrive, the set up begins in Cumberland)

Here we go! Getting ready for a super Spring and Summer Framers Market season. I will be participating in 2 outdoor markets this year. You can find me selling my soaps....


Wednesdays
Falmouth, Walmart Plaza
12:00-4:00
OPENING DAY MAY 5

Fridays
Freeport, L.L.Bean Campus
3:00-7:00
OPENING DAY MAY 28


I have organized my car to hold all my market "stuff". I have been spoiled selling at the Winter Market in Brunswick. We were able to leave out tables set up, our tablecloths on, display merchandise and our banners hung up. It's not as easy to sell during the summer. My car needs to hold a tent, tent tie downs (in the form of 5 gallon buckets full of cement), 3 tables, a chair, sandwich board (that announces my market specials), soap display buckets, tablecloths, and of course all the SOAP I can possible bring. When I purchased my car a couple of years ago, much of the decision toward this vechile or that, was made depending on if I could fit all this stuff in it.

Setting up for a market is not any small task. The vendors arrive up to 1 hour before market to pop up the tents and tie them down (high winds are not fun), snap on the tablecloths, and display their wares. When the market ends, we take it all down and pack it all back up in the cars for the next market. Now just think that some vendors (mostly the farmers) do this 5 or 6 days a week! We have so many options for selling at a Farmers Market here in Maine, you can, if you want sell 7 days a week. But really, when would you make soap, collect the eggs, plant, harvest, knit, sew, bake, milk the cow, catch the fish, make cheese or (WOW) spend time with your family? Remember how hard your local farmer, artist, craftsmen, baker works to bring these items to the market for you. Thank them for being there and making it soo easy for you to shop local and support your local community!

I look forward to seeing you all!


2 comments:

sproutsandsweetpeas said...

How exciting! Can't wait to see you at market this summer. Best of luck for a fabulous season!

Casco Bay Soap Co. said...

Awweee! Thanks for your support! It't gonna be a great summer. I know it!
:)
Shannon
Casco Bay Soap Co.