Thursday, June 10, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

The other day I said I was making a Strawberry Rhubarb Tart, but I changed my mind at the last minute. I made a Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble. I changed my mind because I got these adorable little oven proof pots and had to use them.  One more minute could not go by without using them.  Captain (hubby) has been such a huge supporter of my soap business and all my late nights and soap making shenanigans, I wanted to surprise him with his own little mini Strawberry Rhubarb crumble after dinner.
This is the recipe that I used.  It is a common recipe found on the web, I just changed it up a bit because I had just these 4 tiny little pots. The crumble came out great!   I served them up warm with vanilla ice cream.  YUM!

Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumble
Makes 4 servings

For the topping:
2/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Demerara sugar (or turbinado sugar aka Sugar in the Raw)
1/2 t. lemon juice
1/2 stick of unsalted butter, melted

For the filling:

1 cup rhubarb, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 cup strawberries plus a few extras, hulled, quartered
1 T. lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar (more if you think the rhubarb is too tart)
2 tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt

1. Pre-heat oven to 375°F. Prepare topping: In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugars and lemon.  Add the melted butter. Mix until small and large clumps form. Refrigerate until needed.
2. Prepare filling: Toss rhubarb, strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, flour and the pinch of salt.  Evenly distribute to the 4 little pots.
3. Remove topping from refrigerator and cover fruit mixture thickly and evenly with topping. Place little pots on a baking sheet, and bake until crumble topping is golden brown in places and fruit is bubbling beneath, about 40 minutes.

No comments: