Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hot Summer Nights = Cool Simple Dinners

It's been a bit since I posted a recipe.  As many of you know, I love to bake and cook as well as craft. When I am not stirring the soap pot, I am whipping something up in the kitchen.

I found this recipe by Anne Burrell from the Food Network and made it to go with some grilled chicken and the salad was a standout!  Super easy only 6 ingredients, perfect for a hot summer night when I want to stay out of the kitchen.


Asparagus, Pecorino and Red Onion Salad

Ingredients:

1 bunch pencil thin asparagus, tough bottom stems removed
1 small red onion, finely diced
1 cup coarsely grated aged Pecorino Cheese (or Parmesan Cheese)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
A splash of Extra-virgin olive oil
Sprinkle of Kosher salt, to your taste

Directions:

Cut the asparagus, including the tips into very thin slices, crosswise and place in a medium bowl. Add the red onion and cheese and toss to combine. Dress with the vinegar, olive oil and salt and toss again. This salad should be fairly heavily dressed. The vinegar will sort of "cook" or tenderize the asparagus.

It is best to do this about an hour or so in advance to let the flavors "marry".

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies. This looks like a super healthy, easy and light summer dish!