Friday, March 27, 2009

Signs of Spring!


Yippee! The sun broke through the clouds this afternoon here in Maine and the temperature rose to ~ 44 degrees? I was outside and it sure felt warmer than that. Maybe it is because it was soo darn cold this winter, anything above freezing is pure balmy.

I took a careful walk around the yard to see if any small plants or flower were budding or coming up through the semi-thawed ground yet. A say a careful walk, because here in Maine we are entering into Mud Season. As the snow melts and the ground is completely saturated, the extra moisture sits on the surface, mixes with the thawing ground and turns to all to mud. Mud in the driveway, mud on the grass, unpaved roads, everywhere. Fancy footwear is not really an option. A heel would sink right in, an open back shoe would get your heel all soggy, and suede ~ forget about it! I hopped over the snowy patches and stepped gingerly into the grass and sogged my way to the house foundation. There I saw little plants poking their way up through the sleeping earth, reaching for the sun!

We still have a long way to go. There is still lots of snow on the ground, items we left to sleep during the winter are still put away for now. Like the sailboat that my husband and I enjoy so much in the summer months. It is still shrouded in it's bright blue tarp. The grill on the back deck is wrapped in it's black cocoon. Although, it seems the black plastic cover we choose, was wind whipped this winter and doesn't look like it will do it's job very well next season. And I would have to shovel a path or put on my knee high boots to get to the vegetable garden. Still, spring is on it's way. And up North, we are anxiously awaiting it's arrival.

No comments: