Sunday, November 15, 2009

Roasted Brussle Sprouts


I try to buy something new each week at at least one of the 3 the Farmers Market where I sell my soaps. I try to support each vendor throughout the season and expand my (already very broad) culinary horizons.

This week I purchased fresh cheese curds with a sweet BBQ flavor, 4 pieces of fudge (2 peanut butter, 2 chocolate) made with Goat Milk and Brussels Sprouts still on their stalk!

What a fun looking veggie, like mini cabbage. My husband loves cabbage, he eats it raw like lettuce on sandwiches, likes it in his New England boiled dinner and loves all types of slaw. I wasn't sure after our 9 years of marriage if I knew whether or not he liked Brussels sprouts. But we were going to try something new anyway. Luck was on my side, he asked right away if those were Brussels sprout, and if they were, he loves them!

I found a roasted Brussels sprout recipe on foodnetwork.com and roasted these right up to go with our Sunday night dinner.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts ~ Thanks to Ina Gartin via The Food Network.com

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.

No comments: