Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Buy Homemade The Holiday Season

Starting your Holiday shopping? Consider purchasing local and handmade this year. By supporting your local businesses, your are keeping your hard earned dollar within the community you live. In turn, those business owners generally keep their profits and spending in the community as well.

For example, I purchase my raw materials from a local distributor (actually only 20 miles from me). The sales man that takes my order (and credit card) for Olive Oil and Coconut Oils, for example, actually shops at the Farmers Market and buys my soap. Last week, his wife came by the market and bought 5 bars of soap. What a circle we have created! I help pay his salary and he helps support my business.

You can take The Homemade Pledge this Holiday season and support your local farmers, bakers, artist, craftsmen:

http://www.buyhandmade.org/

"The ascendancy of chain store culture and global manufacturing has left people all dressing, furnishing, and decorating alike. The connection between producer and consumer has been lost. Buying handmade helps them reconnect. We created the pledge as a call to action for consumers to be conscious of how they spend their money this holiday season. We want people, whenever possible, to support independent creators and shop outside the big boxes".

No comments: