Friday, May 2, 2014

Key Lime Pie In A Jar


I've been super busy with soap....making it, labeling it, shipping it....it's all soap all the time!  Which is a good thing.   BUT that also leaves me little time for much else.  I squeeze in housework, yard work, shopping, tea with friends a potluck dinner etc. for sure.  And I will now have full weekends off since the winter farmers market ended (that was 6 long months of every Saturday kissing my hubby goodbye in the morning).   This weekend I head south a bit to visit some friends for a couple of days.  I just made up these cute little Key Lime Pie in mini mason jars to bring with me.  This pie filling is only 3 ingredients and the crust is 2!  How easy is that?

 
 
I found the recipe over here:
 
But did modify it a little bit, as my jars were tiny!
 
Key lime pie in a jar recipe:
{makes around 10 jars} 

 * small canning jars with lids
 
* 1 sleeve of graham crackers

 {crushed fine via a mini food or put in plastic bag and use a roller to crush them}
 
* 1/2 stick of butter, melted

 *1 can of sweetened condensed milk

 *3 egg yolks

 *1/3 cup of key lime juice { if you can’t find key lime juice…regular lime juice works well}
*one stick of unsalted sweet cream butter {melted}


Mix the graham cracker crumbs and the melted butter with a fork…then scoop two spoonfuls into bottom of glass jar. Press down the graham cracker crust with a spoon.   I tamped it down with the back of a citrus reamer!

 Bake the glass jars on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes till the crackers turn lightly brown.

 Meanwhile mix in a separate bowl…the egg yolks…the sweetened condensed milk and lime juice.
 
Once the graham crackers come out of the oven…pour the key lime mixture into each container… using about 1/4 cup mixture in each cup.

 {this is approximate….and use as much or little as you want}

 Bake for an additional 10 minutes.

 Cool…then stick in fridge for 1-2 hours till cold.

 Top with whipped cream…..

and viola…. key lime pies in a jar.

No comments: