Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Green Smoothies

What is a Green Smoothie? A smoothie made with greens! I was first introduced to these last year at the farmers market.  And made them quite frequently through the summer months when fresh greens and fruits at market are plentiful.  Recently, my friend Jeanette has been posting a "fun-a-day green smoothie" on her Face Book page.  I have been inspired again!  I have tons of local frozen blueberries in my freezer, why not start my own green smoothie-a-day!  I have been making a green smoothie each day for about 2 weeks now.  A great way to start the New Year off healthy!

2 Summers ago, I met Jeanette and Heidi at our local farmers market.  I blogged about it here: http://cascobaysoap.blogspot.com/2009/08/green-smoothies.html  They brought their bike to market and whipped up green smoothies using a bike blender. We quickly called them the "Fender Blender Girls". Mixing fresh Kale with Mango and Banana, add some water and you have a deliciously sweet and fresh, good for you Green Smoothie! Excellent on a hot day, give them a try, you will be surprised.


Here is a link to a page about Green Smoothies:

Search for yourself and you will find lots of information out there, including videos on You Tube.

My personal favorite recipe:

3 large stalks of fresh Kale or handful of Baby Spinach leaves

1 Banana

1/2 C. frozen Mango chunks

1/4 C. or so of Blueberries

12/ - 1 C. of water, depending on how "loose" you like your smoothies

Put water in blender

Add Kale, I use the leaves only, picking the leaves off of the stem

Blend!

Add the Banana,  Blueberries and the Mango

Blend until all blended smooth.

Enjoy!
You can add all sorts of fruits: Apples, Berries....maybe some Cinnamon or Ginger. Add a bit of natural sweetener if you like it a bit more sweet. Mix it up and enjoy!

1 comment:

The Soap Sister said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE green smoothies! My VitaMix is gettin a lot of use lately. Kale is the best -what a nutritional powerhouse! Thanks for sharing your recipe -I can't wait to try it. :). -Becky