Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Homemade Basil Pesto


I bought a pot of Basil at the Farmers Market the other day. A whole pot.  I mean, they were selling fresh, Maine grown, vibrantly green, on the stalk, in the pot Basil for only $3.00.  You can't beat that with a stick.  I had to get it.  Dreams of eating pasta with fresh bail pesto danced in my head.  But first, for dinner that night, I plucked a few leaves and stacked it up with heirloom tomatoes (from another vendor) in red, yellow and orange, some fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of olive oil.  Oh, how so very wonderful!  I took the time (really only like 15 minutes start to finish) and made up fresh Basil Pesto on Sunday.   I was wonderful, I mean it is wonderful!  Bright green and fresh, garlicky and cheesy.  I ate some, just a big ole spoon of it and then put the rest into a container for future meals.  Here is the recipe I used, make it if you can!

Fresh Basil Pesto
Ingredients

3 medium sized garlic cloves
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Special equipment needed: A food processor

Prep Work:

Pluck basil leaves off of stem/plant, set aside.

Peel garlic cloves, set aside.

Instrucions:

Add garlic to food processor and process until chopped fine.  Add basil leaves, process until chopped fine.  Add olive oil, parmesan cheese, pine nuts or walnuts, salt and pepper to taste.  Process entire mixture until combined.

Makes 1 cup.

Serve with pasta, or over baked potatoes, on top of cooked salmon, or spread over toasted baguette slice.

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

Drool! You have successfully made me crave fresh pesto!