Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Kiva

Have you heard of Kiva?  It is a small business loan program empowering people around the world with small business loans.   Founded in 2005 the program has lent 271 million dollars in 61 different countries.  It is a non-profit, volunteer run program.


From their website:

"We are a non-profit organization with a mission to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty. Leveraging the Internet and a worldwide network of micro finance institutions, Kiva lets individuals lend as little as $25 to help create opportunity around the world".

This Christmas, my aunt generously donated money to the organization and sent me (a small business owner myself)  the "power" to select other small business owners to loan money to.  I select one, two, three or more businesses or people from their group of loaners and lend them money.  They pay it back, just like any other loan, and I can use it again to loan more money to someone else.  

Donations as small at $25.00 can help someone with their farm, grocery store, bakery or more get on their feet and support their families and make a better life for themselves.

I have been searching and searching for another soap making business, but I have not found one yet.  Here is a link that keeps us connected, so if you want to join and donate, you and I will be connected!

 http://kiva.org/invitedby/shannon8554

 Or just the website itself:  http://www.kiva.org/

No comments: