Easy Homemade Ketchup RecipeMakes about 2 cups of homemade ketchup
Home Ketchup Ingredients:
- 2¼ pounds plum tomatoes
- 1½ cups distilled white vinegar
- 2½ teaspoons coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar (for a less-sweet ketchup, use ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon grated onion or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the tomatoes and blanch until the skins break and the flesh becomes soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain the tomatoes and press through a fine-mesh food mill or sieve to remove the skins and seeds.
2. Pour the sieved tomatoes into a medium-size saucepan. Add the vinegar and salt. Stir to combine. Bring the tomato mixture to a boil and then whisk in the sugar, onion, and spices.
3. Return to a low boil, stirring occasionally, and cook until the mixture has reduced to one-fourth the original amount and has thickened, about 1 hour. Some tomatoes are more watery than others, so additional cooking might be necessary to reduce moisture. Your ketchup should be the consistency of tomato purée, slightly thinner than bottled ketchup. It will thicken slightly when it cools.
4. Pour into a sterilized jar. Cover and refrigerate. Store your homemade ketchup covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
I hope you enjoy this easy to make, homemade ketchup recipe. It is so good and sure to impress your friends and family.