Monday, June 24, 2013

Rhubarb Sour Cream Muffins

My hubby loves rhubarb!  He will eat it plain, just bite right into the stalk (owwwie, too sour for me)!  I always try to make a new rhubarb recipe this time of year when there is lots and lots of it around.  This years recipe was a winner!  I made small muffins (not those jumbo huge ones) and froze them individually and then packed them 2 to a zipper baggie.  They freeze really well and we enjoyed them for several summer weekends!
 
I found my recipe via Pinterest, find it here: http://www.sprungatlast.com/2013/06/rhubarb-sour-cream-muffins/  (scroll down a bit)  Recipe and photo from Sprung At Last.com - thank you!
 
 
 
Rhubarb Sour Cream Muffins
 
Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • ½ tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 8 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1½ cups finely diced rhubarb
Instructions
  1. Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with baking cups.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and whisk to blend.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Lightly stir the sour cream mixture into the dry ingredients with a spatula until the batter just comes together; do not overmix. Gently stir in the diced rhubarb. The batter will be thick.
  4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups, using the back of a spoon or a small spatula to settle the batter into the cups. The batter should mound a bit higher than the tops of the cups.
  5. Bake the muffins until they’re golden brown, spring back most of the way when gently pressed, and a pick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes.

2 comments:

SprungAtLast said...

I'm so glad you liked the recipe! It's a favorite around here - I ADORE rhubarb.

Polly McNamara said...

Raw rhubarb takes me back to when I was a wee girl, and my gran would give us a stalk of rhubarb and a tub of sugar. we dipped the rhubarb into the sugar before each bite. It was sweet and sour at the same time. Fond memories.

I;m a coeliac but this recipe looks very adaptable to a gluten free diet, thanks for sharing xx