Monday, May 13, 2013

Little Ridge Farm CSA

I picked up my first CSA last Tuesday.  It was fun!!  CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  What you do is you support the farm up front with payment, they then have in turn some starting cash to buy seeds, plants, spiff up the greenhouse etc. and start panting you some great local food.   Many CSA's work where they choose a bunch of veggies for you and have a bag/box/bundle ready for you to pickup each week.  My CSA allows the customers to choose what they would like.  I have a 1/2 share so when I went to the farm I was able to choose 5 pounds of the available produce and also 1/2 pound of fresh picked spinach.  NOW, this time of year in Maine, there is not a lot coming up out of the ground just yet.  So my farmer, Keena, offered us items from cold storage.  We could choose from onions, carrots, parsnip, rutabaga and celeriac root.  If you want to buy 5 pounds of carrots, go for it!  I bought a little of everything and enjoyed it all.
 
 
Bright orange carrots were soo good!

 
Fresh spinach made a great salad.

 
A view of a section of the farm (not much to see right now, but soon)!

 
Loved this old tractor.

 
The farm stand where I pick up my CSA share.


And just across the street.


My "spoils" for the week.  Yum!

 
I made fresh spinach salad with bacon and hard boiled eggs one night.  Another night I roasted all the root veggies and served it alongside grilled steak.  I still have to use the celeriac root.  I have never tried it before and I am searching for a recipe right now.  But that's the thing.  I want to try new things and this is a great opportunity to get me to do that.   There is also available, for sale, farm made jams, fresh baked breads, eggs, maple syrup and of course, SOAP (mine)!
 

 
I am also looking forward to Keena's flower and herb garden that she makes available for her CSA customers.  My next pick up is tomorrow!  What will I get this week?
 

No comments: