Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Brown Sugar Brownies

My sweet hubby....he's soo sweet to me...I made him a special treat the other day, Brown Sugar Brownies.

I found this recipe for these amazingly delicious Brown Sugar Brownies.  Do you make your brownies from scratch?  It's super easy and wouldn't you prefer knowing what exactly is going into your brownies?  These basic 9 ingredients make this:


This blogger actually used light butter in her recipe.  While I didn't have any of that on hand (and I have never even tried it!) she says that there was no taste difference at all with the light butter and 1/2 the calories!  I will try that next time.

I added a teaspoon of baking powder.  I don't know if she left it out of the recipe, or wanted a more flat, dense brownie, but I felt the need to include it.   I also added a bit of salt and some instant coffee to bring out the chocolate flavor a bit.

Brown Sugar Brownies

(I made some changes to the ingredients and the way to make the brownies, so this differs from the blog recipe.  Ingredient changes are in pink, below).


Yields 16 brownies
1/2 cup (1 stick) light butter, melted and cooled

1 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

2 ounces unsweetened OR dark chocolate (such as Ghirardelli Twilight Delight), melted, cooled slightly

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon instant coffee

powdered sugar (optional)
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.  ( I have an 8x8 pan, so they were a bit thicker)

2. Melt butter slowly in a medium size saucepan on the stove.  Turn burner off when butter is all melted.  Add chocolate and stir, allow cholcoate to melt into the butter.   Set aside. 

3.In a large bowl, add brown sugar.  Add butter and chcoalte mixutre and beat until combined.

3. Beat in eggs, adding one at at time.

4. Stir vanilla, salt, instant coffee and baking powder.

5. Mix in flour, just until combined.

6. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Cut into squares, and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.  My 9x9 pan required about 12 more minutes of baking.

2 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Yum! These look fantastic! I'm a sucker for anything chocolate!

Casco Bay Soap Co. said...

They were sooo good! Too good!
:)
Shannon