Yields 16 brownies
1/2 cup (1 stick) light butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
2 ounces unsweetened OR dark chocolate (such as Ghirardelli Twilight Delight), melted, cooled slightly
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee
powdered sugar (optional)
1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside. ( I have an 8x8 pan, so they were a bit thicker)
2. Melt butter slowly in a medium size saucepan on the stove. Turn burner off when butter is all melted. Add chocolate and stir, allow cholcoate to melt into the butter. Set aside.
3.In a large bowl, add brown sugar. Add butter and chcoalte mixutre and beat until combined.
3. Beat in eggs, adding one at at time.
4. Stir vanilla, salt, instant coffee and baking powder.
5. Mix in flour, just until combined.
6. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Cut into squares, and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired. My 9x9 pan required about 12 more minutes of baking.