Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rhubarb Is Ready In My Garden!

My husband (remember we are going to call him Captain) loves rhubarb. We had 2 large plants growing in our side yard. Last week I looked and they were very small, I thought I had a few weeks left of waiting. But just yesterday Captain said that the Rhubarb is getting big! Wow, what a couple of days of off and on rain and sun can do for a plant. It has sprung up enough that I am going to pick some and make a special surprise desert for Captain tonight.

I choose Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp thanks to Emeril on Food network.com. I am planning on cutting the recipe in half because it is just the two of us and i have these cute little pie tins I want to use. I plan on making 4 little strawberry Rhubarb Crisps. I even have real whipped cream in the fridge I can whip up with a bit of sugar and vanilla. The Captain is going to be very surprised, and happy.

I love cooking or baking with what is in season, and even more so with what is growing my own backyard. I plan on purchasing some Fiddleheads from the Farmers market tomorrow, to add to dinner tomorrow tonight. I encourage you to grow your own food or visit your local Farmers market and enjoy what is local to you.

Here is the recipe if you would like to try it yourself:

No comments: