- 2 1/2 sticks (10 ounces) of unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2/3 of a cup of whole milk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- a heaping 2/3 of a cup of jam (I used 4 berry jam)
- baking spray with flour
- powdered sugar for dusting
Whisk together your dry ingredients : flour, baking powder and salt.
Fit the paddle attachment onto your stand mixer and beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until it is light and fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the yolks. Continue to beat until the mixture is smooth, scraping down the bowl as necessary. And then add the whole eggs, one at a time, making sure each is incorporated before adding the next. You may have to scrape down the bowl again!
Keep the mixer on low and add half of the flour mixture. Mix it just to combine and then add the milk. Again, mix until just combined and then add the remaining flour. And yes, you guessed it! Mix until it is just combined. Scrape down the bowl and then add the vanilla extract. Now kick the speed up to medium and mix for about 30 seconds, until the batter is smooth.
Scoop out about a cup and a half of the batter and smooth it evenly into the bottom of the pan. With a teaspoon, make a little trench in the batter and spoon in the jam. Then add the remaining batter. Using a long toothpick or skewer, carefully give the batter a little swirl. (You can certainly use a knife and swirl the jam throughout the batter.) But a light swirl will create a pretty ruby crown.